Historical Timeline

  • 1925

    • October 4: Church members received the Lord's Supper for the first time.​ The first Deacons, Finance Committee, Treasurer, and Clerk were elected.

    • Church members participated in and contributed to local and state missions, the Cooperative Program, Louisiana College, and the Childrens' Home.

    • The Church sent messengers and delegates to the Louisiana Baptist Convention and the Baptist Association of Greater New Orleans.

  • 1926​

    • For the next three years, money collected during the offertory was given to the visiting pastor. These love offerings ranged from $1.00 to $15.00.​

  • 1927​

    • Church members donated $220.05 for local flood relief, which was a significant amount considering the size and means of the community.​

  • 1929​

    • June 16Brother B.E. Massey was called and accepted as the first pastor of the Mission. ​He earned a salary of $5.00 per week, and lived on the field.

    • The first record book was purchased for 55 cents, and writing ink was purchased for 10 cents.

  • 1931​

    • The first organ and hymnal books were purchased.​

  • 1937​

    • Sunday school books were purchased for the first time.​

  • 1940​

    • ​Because the original church had been organized by an outreach program, its members focused their efforts to continue spreading God's love to the local community in kind.

  • 1943​​

    • The first organized Sunday school classes were held.​

  • 1944​​

    • May 19: A bouquet of flowers was presented to the oldest and youngest mothers on Mothers' Day​ for the first time.

    • Pastor Ebie McGee created a census of the local community.

    • The first Building Committee was formed to consider buying more land for a new church building.

  • 1945​

    • Signs were posted near the ferry and around the community to guide people.

    • The Church began keeping its “Cradle Roll” (nursery).

  • 1946

    • Construction began on the new church building, to be located in Lafitte. The land for the new church was donated by Calvin Fleming and the Fleming family.

    • The “little” church in Barataria was originally called Ruttley Memorial, in honor of Mr. Thomas Ruttley’s generous donation of the land that it occupied; the understanding was that it would not be sold, demolished, or given up under any circumstances.

    • A monthly newsletter was published to its members ​for the first time, with information about business meetings and upcoming events.

    • The first communion set was purchased: 40 cups and a cover.

    • Nina Belle Holaday does missionary ministry.

  • 1947

    • January 12: The charter for the new church was voted on by its members.

    • January 27: Brother Berkman Deville, Pastor, and the Board of Trustees adopted and signed the church charter. Church members voted to name the new building Barataria Baptist Church, and to name the original church building the First Baptist Chapel of Barataria.

    • February 8: Dedication ceremonies and the first services were held in the new Barataria Baptist Church building, at the same location on which it stands today.

    • Baptisms can now be held at B.B.C.

    • B.B.C.’s first Board of Trustees and Nominating Committee were selected.

    • The Brotherhood, Women’s Missionary Union, and Discipleship Training began.

    • B.B.C.’s first Vacation Bible School (V.B.S.) was held in Crown Point.

    • August 31: B.B.C.’s first outdoor service was held.

    • December 28: Church members voted to accept a gift loan of $1,000 from the Home Mission Board.

  • 1948

    • A letter​ of certification was granted to Brother Dan Dufrene to the Arcadian Baptist Academy.

    • A gas heating system was installed in the new church building.

    • B.B.C. purchased its first piano, plus 100 folding chairs.

    • NovemberBrother Berkman Deville was allowed to set up temporary living quarters in the back of the church.

    • The first Grounds Committee and Social Committee was selected.

  •  1949

    • Pews were ordered for the sanctuary.​

    • Church members were asked to tithe and to participate in community offerings, such as Childrens' Home and the Cooperative Board.

    • Pulpit Committee and Yard Committee was selected.

    • The first committee was formed to count the weekly offerings.

  • 1950​

    • B.B.C. decided to become financially independent, relieving the Home Mission Board of its support.​

    • The parsonage was built at its present location.

    • The Church's chimes rung for the first time.

      • Although the date was uncertain, it is believed that the chimes were rung on October 29​ when Brother L.C. Smith was present for a Revival Service.​

    • A religious census of the area was taken.​

    • Evangelism Committee and Fellowship Committee was formed.

    • The pastor was allowed to take an annual 2 week vacation.

  • 1951​

    • Heaters were purchased and installed in the parsonage.​

  • 1952​

    • December 7: The Educational Building and Sunday School rooms were dedicated.​

    • A bus was hired to transport church members to and from Lafitte for Sunday services.

    • The Social Welfare Committee was chosen for the first time.

  • 1953

    • An Easter Sunday Sunrise Service was held on the church grounds for the first time in the area.​

  • 1955​

    • BBC purchased ​its first church bus.

  • 1957​

    • A committee was appointed to study the possibility of starting a Mission in Lafitte.

    • B.B.C. purchases a large piece of land adjacent to the church building.

    • B.B.C. voted to support the organization of the West Bank Baptist Association.

    • B.B.C. members voted to create a Relief Annuity Fund recommended by its Deacons.

  • 1958​

    • The Benevolent Committee was selected for the first time.​

    • A weekend revival and youth week were held.

    • 2 window-unit air conditioners were installed for the first time: one purchased, and one donated.

  • 1959​

    • The newly-formed Mission became operational, and held its first revival.​

  • 1960​

    • January 6: A resolution was signed creating a lease agreement for the land occupied by the Mission.​

    • Gas-powered heating was installed in the Mission building.

    • A weekend youth-led revival was held.

  • 1962

    • ​The Church Council was formed to evaluate the church's needs and accept suggestions.

    • A Juvenile Rehabilitation Committee was formed.

    • Ushers were chosen for the first time.

  • 1963

    • A 25-foot piece of land was purchased on the southern portion of the church's land.

    • B.B.C. formed a Kindergarten; initially meeting 2 days per week, it eventually expanded to 5 days.

    • A 2-week-long Vacation Bible School was held.

  • 1964

    • ​B.B.C. held Cottage Prayer Meetings.

    • Friday evening services were held at the home of Mrs. Sarah Venet on Bonne Isle Road. This was recognized as the "Bonne Isle Road Mission" of B.B.C.

    • B.B.C. received $800.00 from the Missions Committee of the Louisiana Baptist Convention to help purchase land for the Mission Church on the eastern side of the church's property. Mrs. Burglass donated another lot next to this land.

  • 1965​

    • During Brother Lester Patterson's ​ministry, B.B.C. held its first youth retreat in Indian Springs, Oklahoma.

    • April 11: The Mission Church moved to its new property, and the Mission was dedicated. Revivals at the Mission were usually conducted in Cajun French.

  • 1966​

    • B.B.C. orders bulletins imprinted with a color picture of the church for the first time.​

    • Weekly Bible Study classes were offered every Wednesday evening before the Prayer Service.​​

  • 1967​

    • June 27: B.B.C. received a loan of $5,600.00 and a gift of $1,400.00​ to purchase additional property on the west and north side of its existing land.

    • B.B.C.'s choir participated in the singing of The Messiah with the Association Choir.

  • 1969​

    • January 8: The Lafitte Mission was closed.​

    • Recreational equipment was purchased for the youth program: such as a ping-pong table, shuffle board, movies, and other items.

    • Researched the possibility of adding central air-conditioning for the Church and Education Building.

  • 1970​

    • B.B.C. sold the Mission's property, and donated its furniture to another church.​

    • October 23-24: A large group of B.B.C. members attended the Billy Graham Crusade in Baton Rouge, with the church providing transportation.

  • 1971​

    • A portable air-conditioner was purchased for the parsonage.​

    • Jim and Shelly Caslin volunteered to serve as Missionaries in the Philippine Islands.

  • 1972​

    • B.B.C. sold the original church property in Barataria.​

    • Fans were purchased for the sanctuary.

  • 1973​

    • Central air-conditioning was installed in the church auditorium.​

  • 1975​

    • A newsletter was printed to be distributed to members, prospects, and community leaders.​

    • Audio of the weekly services were​​ recorded for shut-ins, or anyone who wanted to hear God's word but could not attend on Sundays.

    • Portable air-conditioners were installed in the Sunday School classrooms and recreation room.

    • B.B.C.'s first sound system was purchased and installed.

  • 1976​

    • January: ​Plans were begun to construct a new sanctuary (current Education building).

    • April 7: Pages 1-10 of B.B.C.'s Constitution were accepted by the church.

    • June 9: Pages 1-10 of B.B.C's Bylaws were accepted by the church.

    • Brother Larry Baker was invited to travel to Guatemala with a revival team, and was partially sponsored by the church.

    • September: Construction began on the Sanctuary building.

    • September 8: Part 2 of the Bylaws were accepted by the church.

  • 1977​

    • February 24: The Sanctuary in the newly-constructed ​building was dedicated.

    • April 6: A regular Church business meeting was held in the new auditorium.

    • A loan 

2596 Jean Lafitte Blvd, Lafitte, LA 70067, USA

  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Google Maps

©2018 by Barataria Baptist Church. Proudly created by the PaintMan with Wix.com